curtains Dining Room dolls house Herengracht tutorials
A new year's recipe...January 03, 2012
Total time: three days Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes (x 8) Ingredie...
Total time: three days
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes (x 8)
Ingredients (makes two curtains):
150 x 25 cm fabric
150 cm silk cord
coordinating sewing thread
2 small flower decorations
thick card stock
Cut four pieces of fabric according to the swag and drop pattern. Pull out threads to create fringed edges. Secure fringes with FrayStay. Glue silk cord along fringed edge.
Cut four pieces of fabric floor to ceiling length, the width of the window. Put FrayStay on all cut edges. Dry.
Pre-heat oven to a low heat. Soak one fabric panel in water, dab off excess and arrange fabric in Pretty Pleater. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until dry. Repeat with all fabric panels.
Cut two pieces of card stock the width of window x 3 cm. Cut four pieces of card stock 1 x 3 cm. Glue into two U-shapes and cover with fabric. Arrange and glue two pleated fabric panels on inside of U-shape. Repeat for other U-shape. Arrange and glue two fringed and pleated fabric pieces on outside of U-shape. Use needle and thread to pull up fabric in corners to create a swag and waterfall drop.
Cut two strips of fabric 1 x 10 cm. Pull out threads to create a fringe. Secure fringes with FrayStay. Use needle and thread to gather fabric and create a rosette. Glue flower decoration on rosette and glue this on the top centre of curtains.
Cut four 1,5 cm strips of fabric on the bias, fold long edges to the inside, iron and glue. Arrange as curtain tie-backs. Hang and arrange curtains in front of windows. Enjoy.
Well OK, this is not a real recipe, but it is what I have been doing the last few days. And I did put the fabric in the oven to dry it. So a recipe of sorts.
When I was going through my stash of fabrics a few days ago I found a piece of fabric which had the perfect colour for the Dining Room of my new Canal House. Although not silk as I had intended, the cotton looked so good with the wallpaper I will use in this room (see my blog post from July), I decided to go ahead and use it anyway.
I still have to adjust some of the draping but I will do that when I install the curtains permanently once the room is finished. The other items in the room are just there for a bit of set dressing, they won't be in there when the room is finished.