Canal house curtains Drawing Room Herengracht windows
Curtains containedJanuary 06, 2013
Well, these have taken me long enough! I bought the silk for these curtains last summer and started making them in October I think. ...
Well, these have taken me long enough! I bought the silk for these curtains last summer and started making them in October I think. At first I used a Pretty Pleater to make the pleats, but I wasn't at all happy with the way they turned out. I wanted a much softer, fuller look.
Looking round my workshop to see what I could use to make the pleats, I found some of my paintbrushes had just the right shape and length to do the job. I am quite pleased with the result.
It didn't take me too long to make the first set of curtains and the swags and jabots. The second set however was a whole different story. For some reason it just didn't want to do what I wanted it to do.
So I threw them into a corner and I didn't feel like working on them for a long time.
But of course I had to have a pair of curtains so I picked up where I left off in December. It didn't get any easier though! I did them again and again and again until finally they almost resembled the first set of curtains. Now I still have to make the curtain tiebacks!
The curtains are lined with a thin white silk (all hand sewn, not glued), the same silk I used to make the little shades. I hope the lining will help prevent too much fading of the blue silk fabric.
I really like how it looks looking from the outside in!