Sew stylish...

I was searching my blog today looking for a photo of my sewing box but I couldn't find it.  That is, I did see a tiny bit of it in a post from September 2015.  At the end of the post I wrote that I would tell you more about it in my next post.  Which for some reason I never did. So, nearly a year and a half later, here is the sewing box...


 I bought this sewing box on stand from Chris Malcomson at the Kensington fair in May 2015
I believe this was one of his earlier pieces.  Although it is a charming piece, it does have some flaws so I felt it was OK to make a few changes to it.  


 I put silk on the inside lid and made a silk velvet pincushion. I used the same silk on the chairs.  Then I had fun filling it with sewing items which I have been collecting over several years.  And of course I had to make some tiny pins and a needle and thread for it.


The box has several compartments with lids and the top tray lifts out to reveal a large compartment for bigger items.  I just keep a few spools of yarn in there.  


It wouldn't be one of Chris Malcomson's pieces if it didn't have marquetry on it.  The lid is delicately decorated with pretty flowers and green leaves.


My collection of sewing accoutrements has come from different sources.  The tiny ivory thimble, the silver scissors and the silver and ivory thread holder (hanging from the chain) came from Ligia's Miniatures.  The ivory darning egg came from Jürgen Engel.  The ivory spools and darning egg on the ebony handle came from Alan Waters. The packet of sewing needles came from Anita Deegen. 





Comments

  1. Oh my......how absolutely stunning!!!! I confess when I saw the first photo pop-up I had a little twinge of envy......it is a lovely piece and your photos are perfect (so hate it when I cannot see all the detail😉)
    Linda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I'm with you on the detail thing ;-)

      Delete
  2. Oooohhhh Josje, What a Gorgeous sewing box!!! The marquetry on the lid is lovely, and the shape and the stand are so elegant! Not to mention all the items you have collected to keep in it! I think the addition of the silk in the lid is perfect and very appropriate. Your pins and needles are Fantastic!!! And did you say you Made them? I would love to know how!!! As usual, I am so inspired by your work! You have such exacting standards.... and everything you show is Gorgeous!!! Yes, a little twinge of envy here too....! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, Thank you for the compliments. The needle isn't a real needle in that it doesn't have an eye, it's all pretend ;-) I just glued a silk thread to the top of it so it looks as if it is a needle. As it is all so tiny, it is almost impossible to see by eye that it's not an actual needle. I suppose you could use a tiny embroidery needle, but I use the thinnest acupuncture needles to make the pins and needles. Very effective! Ask your local acupuncturist if they happen to have any needles for you which are past the expiration date (yes, they have an expiration date, I can't think why, but they do).

      Delete
  3. There is no limit to perfection! This box sewing is incredibly good! Collection of items for sewing impressive. These works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to finally see your sewing box. I remember the post promising a more detailed view of it. :-) It is a gorgeous piece made all the more interesting by so many fascinating sewing articles. I love the ivory pieces, raspberry silk additions, and all the other tools.

    I can just see someone taking a seat in that sunny window to do a bit of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You memory is better than mine Catherine ;-) I do like to collect sewing articles and it is fun to be able to fill such a pretty sewing box with them.

      Delete
  5. So lovely Josje enhanced by your silk lining and special acquisitions.
    All the best.
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing piece of miniature!!! And you've got wonderful accessories in it.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful piece, and all of the implements make it a little treasure chest. I love It! Thank you for sharing your home and your talents.
    Deri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice sewing box and collection, glad to finally see it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On you didn't remember too did you? Hahaha!

      Delete
    2. Sigh, auto correct even here.... I wrote, 'Nooo, you didn't remember too did you?'

      Delete
  9. A special piece and the silk compliments it so nicely. Your collection is truly amazing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment