Louis XVI parquetry gueridon...




A class with Geoff Wonnacott.

Several years ago, I believe it was as far back as 2009,  I asked Geoff if he could come over to teach a class in the Netherlands.   Unfortunately for us he was very busy and didn't have time to come over and teach.  In the years that followed several of my friends and I kept asking (or maybe at some point it could be considered as nagging) him to please come over.  Pleeeeeease!  

 Geoff finally succumbed to the pressure and in May he came over to teach us how to make the wonderful Louis XVI parquetry gueridon.  


Cut out the table using a scroll saw.  Not my strong point.  Thankfully sanding will make it perfectly round.


I forgot to take photos at times.  This is a little writing desk (bonheur du jour) I worked on at home using the technique I had learned in the class.

Adding a drawer and, for this table, a half round raised back.

Back to the class piece again.  Working on the checkered parquetry top.

Starting on the parquetry on the rounded front drawer.  The finished piece you see here is not mine unfortunately ;-)  This is Geoff's piece which I was using for reference.

This is my table, almost finished.  It still needs a finish  on the wood.  Unfortunately I could't get the same type of finish Geoff uses on his pieces (which he did bring to class, but as I wasn't finished yet…), so I used spray shellac.

The shellac gives the piece a warmer and slightly darker finish and I think it is not as 'crisp' as  the finish Geoff uses, although that could also be due to my woodworking skills of course ;-)

The gueridon in its new home.  It fits well in this room I think.   In the lefthand corner of the photo a glimpse of another new piece I got in May, of which I will tell you more in my next post.


It was a really good class in which I again learned a lot.  I hope Geoff will be back to teach another class!

Comments

  1. Beautiful work as always, Josje
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous table, perfect done! All pictures are beautiful, full of warm sunlight...
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Exquisite little table fits in perfectly with the decor of your Very Elegant room; just as it was meant to! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful piece! Your skill is far better then you give yourself credit for ;). Amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Josje,
    Yes this was yet another great class! Glad he finally came over, hopefully next year as well or should we follow his class at Kensington? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choices, choices ;-) I suppose it depends on the size of my wallet.

      Delete
  6. Hi Josje! How lucky you were to be able to persuade him to come teach a class! It must be amazing to work with someone who really knows what they are doing and can show you all the techniques they have learned! Sometimes just watching can teach you so much about a project that you might not have even thought to ask! Your little table is Gorgeous! Just incredibly gorgeous! And it goes so well in your beautiful room! I look forward to hearing about the new piece in the other corner! As usual, your work is so inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it goes perfect in your room! Fantastic work, and the room is beautiful---

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a lovely table. You did a beautiful job making it. It has found the perfect spot in that window. Just the right piece for that gorgeous room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW... What are you using that foil for in the second picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine, the foil was to stop the glue sticking to the work surface. Although sometimes the foil will stick to the glue, it is very easy to remove it without having it stick to the project.

      Delete
  10. Impresionante,es un trabajo perfecto!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merci Josje pour l'article. En effet je n'ai pas attendu longtemps ;-) Votre table est un chef-d'oeuvre et elle a sa place dans votre si belle pièce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Que trabajo.. está perfecto y esa sala donde se ve.. es real... no parece mini.
    Me ha encantado, buen profesor y buen alumno.
    Un abrazo
    Maite

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow echt heel mooi Josje, de moeite van het wachten waard.
    Groetjes Thea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, it's a lovely piece. I imagine a steady hand is required to deal with those little pieces (and a fear of sneezing!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Josje, your table is a work of art and really beautiful. It must have been so great to have Geoff on hand for guidance. Can you tell me where you got the brass strip from that is around the top and bottom of your table? I have been searching online for ages trying to find where I can buy something similar to what you have used.

    Jayne c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Jayne, that's what I have been looking for as well. I never asked Geoff, but I suppose he has them made specially. I will ask him when I next see him. Cristina Noriega sells similar style brass strips. I don't know if she has them on her website, but she does have them, I have bought a couple from her in the past. They are beautiful and fine designs.

      Delete
  16. Wat moooooooi weer, zucht, als ik zoiets toch eens zou kunnen maken...staat prachtig in die kamer ook

    ReplyDelete
  17. How beautiful! The details are incredible for such a tiny table! I love that the draw works!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness such intricate work, so beautiful...gorgeous, well done!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's really beautiful Josje, I can't imagine working with such tiny pieces. And thanks for the tip off on the spray shellac, I didn't know there is such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Morning Josje,
    You have made a wonderful addition to your house and added to your innumerable skills. You are inspiring!

    My trusty husband has just bought a boat in Sneek, NL, perhaps next year we will be somewhere that you could come and visit us on the canals?
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janine! How wonderful you are getting a boat from Sneek! I think you may have mentioned this to me before, or maybe I am just confused (which is not uncommon for me). I would love to meet up with you! Visiting you on your boat would be wonderful. And of course you are very welcome in my house and my miniatures studio!

      Delete
  21. dat heb je echt mooi gemaakt Josje, ik vind het prachtig! En het past perfect in deze kamer inderdaad, erg mooi. Another job well done! En wat grappig dat jullie zoveel moeite hebben moeten doen hem naar NL te krijgen voor een workshop, maar het is gelukt! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Josje,
    It is spectacular. I am a huge fan of Geoff's work and you did an incredible job. Bravo!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful work as always Josje! Just had an enjoyable browse through your past, equally beautiful posts! And the silver collection was fabulous, thanks for sharing.

    P.s. I love that cheeky bugger of a rat! Hope to see him up to no good again in the future :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Фантастика! Это что-то потрясающее!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Breathtakingly beautiful, I look forward to hearing about your statue.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful and so intricate! Love your photos too with the light coming though the window.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  27. Zeer mooi "bonheur du jour"!!! Prachtig details. Congratulatins!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment