Time waits for no man...

Half a year almost...too long since I have posted here.  
I have been very busy though.  Sadly in July a miniaturist friend of mine passed away.   Many of you may know her blog Elly in Amsterdam.  Elly had asked me to take care of her collection of miniatures in agreement with her wishes.

So for the past four months I have been packing, sorting, identifying, pricing and selling Elly's miniatures.  Part of Elly's collection has gone to the Miniature Museum of Greater St. Louis where it will go on display soon.  
A few pieces have gone into the Kathleen Savage Browning Miniatures Collection while many other miniatures have gone to private collectors.  

Elly had been collecting for 30 years so you can imagine the size of her collection.  I created a blog to post the available miniatures on.  If you'd like to have a look:  https://ellysminiatures.blogspot.com

There are still many miniatures to photograph and make available on the blog.  In between I get to play with them, put them in my rooms, tempting me to buy them myself.  Which of course is not always possible as my budget is not limitless.  Here are a few of the miniatures in my rooms (some are my own, some have already sold, some are available):




The gorgeous Alan McKirdy dining table with wonderful Georgian Key Stokesay Ware china (which is sold).  The chandelier has real Swarovski crystals.  Elly stitched the seats for the dining room chairs herself in petit point.  





The silver is by Jens Torp.  The cat fire screen in the background is, just like the table, by Alan McKirdy and the stitching again was done by Elly herself (also sold).  



This wonderful pitcher from Elly's collection is by Marsha Hedrick.  I will be available soon on the blog along with some other Marsha Hedrick pieces.  


I loved seeing this piece in my kitchen.  The stove is by the late French miniaturist Philippe Bordelet as is the kettle.  The roasting tin is by Marie-Louise Markhorst (Smallscale).
Some people (you know who you are!!) tried to persuade me to buy this stove myself, but I already have the AGA for this kitchen so, as much as I love it, I'm not buying the Bordelet stove.  





 Apart from ellysminiatures.blogspot.com I post about once a week on my Instagram account: @josje.bouwt



Comments

  1. Ik volg je op Instagram en zie deze prachtige miniaturen daar voorbij komen.
    Je hebt een eervolle taak om Elly's miniaturen goed onder te brengen.
    Liefs,
    Véronique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je Véronique. Een eervolle taak is het zeker.

      Delete
  2. Oh No.... I am so very sorry to hear about Elly. After following someones blog for many years you develop an odd attachment and feelings for them, despite the fact you have never actually met. It sounds like Elly was prepared, which implies she knew her time was short. I hope she didn't suffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine. Yes, it is true we find friendship and attachment to people we have never met. I feel the same. As did Elly.

      Delete
  3. Everything is beautiful. I heard about Elly, she was my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a wonderful collection Linda. It is bittersweet to go through it all.

      Delete
  4. Wat een triest nieuws, Josje.
    Ik ben het eens met Véronique: het is een eervolle taak om deze prachtige miniatuur stukken van Elly goed onder te brengen....
    Groet, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Josje,
    I was very sad to hear of Elly's passing. I only knew her through blogs, but she was always very kind and her talent was inspiring.
    big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo Josje,

    Het is altijd triest als een goede vriendin heen gaat. Gecondoleerd met het verlies van iemand die jou dierbaar is en succes met jouw zware maar mooie taak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel Huibrecht. Het is heel dubbel, aan de ene kant heel triest dat ze er niet meer is, aan de andere kant heb ik dagelijks de mooiste miniaturen in mijn handen.

      Delete
  7. Hi Josje! I am sorry to learn of Elly's passing, though I was not familiar with her or her blog. She clearly knew what to collect... and the pieces you show look stunning in your rooms! It is great to hear that so many pieces are going to museums where they can be shared with the greater public. You are doing a heroic job! Thank you for sharing all these treasures here, and for the work you are doing to ensure that her collection is properly disposed of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I am still working on Elly's collection, it is a full time job!

      Delete
  8. Whenever I learn of a miniaturist's passing away, I find myself feeling very very sad even if I've never met him or her in person. There is something about our on-line friendships especially when they are of some duration, which emotionally connects us all.
    I followed Ely's blog and so while scrolling through it again, I came across a photo of you and Ely and 2 of your friends all together sharing a happy miniature moment at the end of a workshop.
    You have done a wonderful job of cataloging her extensive miniature collection Josje and although it must be a lot of work for you to shoulder in addition to the loss of a dear friend, I'm certain that Ely would be very pleased with what you have done finding new homes for each precious miniature she so greatly treasured.
    May she Rest in Peace.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. I am sorry it took me so long to reply, but I have been so busy with Elly's collection... Yes, friendships can be formed without physically meeting someone.
      I know the photo you were talking about, Elly sneaked that one on her blog haha! I don't like to have photos of myself online generally.
      I try to do deal with Elly's collection the way she wanted it. On occasion I ask for advice on how to approach something from one of her friends. It is always nice to be able to talk to someone who knew her well when I'm unsure of how to go forward.

      Delete
  9. Yes, of course I knew of Elly. I am a follower of her blog. Sad she is gone. Glad her life will be memorialized by her collection. You are a wonderful mini friend to make and keep your promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes it is very sad that she's gone. I know she was loved by many friends all over the world and got tremendous enjoyment from blogging and being in the middle of the online miniatures world.

      Delete
  10. Hi Josje! I am sorry I did not know Elly or her blog... clearly she was a miniaturist of great taste! I am glad to hear her collection is going to so many worth places. Your rooms look stunning anyway.... with her amazing pieces they look so real as to make me have to look very carefully! It is sad when a friend passes, but it is good to know you are shepherding her collection to the right places. Thank you for sharing these beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Josje, I have just received the little Butterfly pillow made by Elly and I am in total shock over the detail and work ! Never in a hundred years could my eyes adjust to this scale of work, truly amazing and I am sorry that I cannot tell her how treasured this is going to be. I will make a chair to put it on. Many thanks Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear such a little treasure will be loved in your collection!
      Thank you Stephanie!

      Delete
  12. Che tristezza! :-( Non avevo tradotto questo tuo post. Pensavo che Elly ti avesse prestato le sue miniature. Non avevo capito che non c'è piu....Ho guardato il blog che hai creato per lei e le sue miniature in vendita.Sono contenta che molto é andato in qualche muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very sad Blanche. But it is nice to think that these miniatures she enjoyed so much are now spread out all over the world!

      Delete
  13. Oh Josje, I'm so sorry to hear of your friend. You must have had quite a difficult time of it. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us.
    Sending much love
    Simon -x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon! Sorry I am so late...I have been very busy with all of this.

      Delete
  14. So sad to hear your news Josje, although I haven't been on blogger for a long time. You are doing a wonderful job listing Elly's lovely pieces and I am tempted by them but restricted by budget unfortunately. I wish you a peaceful Christmas and brighter new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. I must say I haven't been on blogger either, apart from the blog I have been creating for Elly's miniatures. I will have so much catching up to do when I have finished! Best wishes for a wonderful 2019!

      Delete

Post a Comment