The pantry/laundry/toilet area...part 1, the toilet



To the right of the kitchen I have started making a room which houses the laundry area, a toilet and the pantry.  In an ideal world there would be a wall closing off the toilet and laundry area from the pantry, but then you wouldn't be able to see them anymore so I left an opening there.  


Half a year ago I tiled the floor but had done nothing else to the room so my first job was to make the windows.  As this is the basement the windows are fairly small and are situated right underneath the ceiling.  The bottom of the windows is the approximate street level.  They are positioned exactly below the two windows of the Blue Salon.  


In my previous post you saw a little bit of the toilet area.  As I was thinking about how to best position this little room, I pinched a door I had made for the garden room months ago.  It looked rather nice so, being a bit lazy, I used it as the toilet door.  I can always make a new door for the other room.  






In this room the mopboards (skirting boards) are aso made up of Delft blue tiles (well, they are really paper, but sssshhh!). As the toilet area would have been a newer addition to the house, I decided to have a different mopboard here.  I used tiny white real tiles which I bought from Stacey's Miniature Masonry along with the stone flooring. I think it looks better with the toilet too.  




The toilet and sink came from my friend Elly and are by Hearth and Home Miniatures I believe.  There were some bits missing so I made a few changes here and there, and sanded and repainted much of it too.  I made a cool little video with it flushing  (shown in my previous post).  For anybody thinking that was real...sorry to disappoint you but it is a sound effect I used in my video.  

I made the loo roll holder from bits of brass I found in a drawer.   


Well, this will be the last time the toilet and sink can be seen like this, as I am putting up the walls around it.  Now you will only be able to see glimpses of it through the open door.  


The toilet area was supposed to have free standing walls which I could slide out when I had to work on the lights or anything else inside there.  But I ran into a problem with the beams, plus I didn’t like how there would be a tiny gap between the walls where they butted up against the side and back walls.

That annoyed me a few days until I came up with a solution:  I cut a hole in the ceiling above the toilet so that the toilet ceiling can be lifted off to reach the LED’s. (The house consists of a series of room boxes). The rest of the ceiling will be permanently attached and the tiny gaps between the ceiling and walls will be plastered over.   



I  used the same LED’s as in the kitchen and used a semi-transparent piece of plastic to diffuse the light a bit.  The toilet can only be seen when the door is open. As it should be of course.  Some more work to do on this but I do love it so far. 

I really like the serenity of the white colours and simple lines, but it won't remain like this as it will be part of the laundry and pantry as well. At least I will still have the photos ;-)  





Comments

  1. The bathroom looks perfect! Your story about it being added later is very convincing with the white tile mop boards. What a great idea to make an access panel for the lighting so that you can make a clean join where the walls meet the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherrill! The access panel is only possible because I am building this house as a series of roomboxes which will fit inside the shell of the house. The shell will be built similar to a bookcase. In my first house, which is a conventional build, this would not have worked. So I'm lucky here I suppose!

      Delete
  2. Quel beau travail, si propre, si net, si précis, si réaliste, BRAVO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect little surprise for anyone who thinks that's a false door. Love how the light comes through the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Yes I also like the light coming through the window! I'll have to keep it on all the time ;-)

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous 'new' addition to the house the little bathroom is - the peak through the open door is just so fun. I just love play of light in laundry from the mirrored external and internal windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! The play of light is wonderful, changing throughout the day. The spot where the house will go eventually is much darker than my workbench where it is now, so I'll have to come up with some sort of daylight simulation to replicate that I think. But that will be some time in the future as it will be quite some time before this house is finished and going to its final position.

      Delete
  5. El baño se ve tan cálido y sereno! la luz es fantástica,me gusta mucho!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pilar! I love the light too. As for the serenity (if I understand you correctly), I like it like this too, but there will be a lot going on around it when it is finished, making it much busier visually. Which is also nice but much different.

      Delete
  6. Just perfect and I like when the door is closed and the light coming out of this little room.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are strange creatures indeed to be so bothered about details that no one will see. As this is your build, your baby you of course get each detail exactly right and what an amazing job you did! All those wonderful packages as great! I love the toilet bowl, I have searched for good looking ones but so far either they cost an arm and a leg or are terrible! Bravo ,, huggsss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes exactly! I even tiled the mopboards on the inside of the toilet walls, something which is impossible to see from any angle. It is hard to find good toilet bowls, or good bathrooms for that matter. The Chrysnbon kit is rather nice if you like the Victorian style and there are more and more 3D printed items (on Shapeways) which are not too expensive. You will have to do some work to them yourself (spray painting mostly). If only I was good at computer design...

      Delete
    2. Yes ! I painted a 'sky' ceiling that no one will see or can see and a hutch for china also not seen unless you are a mouse !! I even filled a drawer with cutlery, imagine that ! But that is our passion, our vision ,, huggsss

      Delete
  8. Hallo Josje,

    Ik begreep dat het een geluidsfragment was hoor ;-) In miniatuur is er te weinig water om zoveel geluid te produceren. Maar dat mag de pret toch zeker niet drukken. :-)

    Het toilet is mooi geworden. Een logische latere toevoeging. Ik vind het knap hoe je de rolhouder zelf geknutseld hebt uit losse stukken messing. Hij ziet erg goed uit. Je mag trots zijn op het resultaat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel Hubert! Ik kon me al slecht voorstellen dat jij dat niet begrepen had, maar je weet nooit ;-)

      Delete
  9. Hi Josje! I love how real this toilet looks! I grew up in a house that had a toilet much like this in the main bath! The tank was at the top of the wall with a long pull chain! I can sympathize with your need to make the walls removable... but it does require careful engineering! Given that you are making a series of room boxes, the ceiling being removable is a great solution! I am always in awe of the realism you produce and this is no exception! I look forward to more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy! This type of tank/cistern with a long pull chain was the common thing here until the eighties I think. Of course the style of the toilet was more modern than the one I used.
      Still working on this room so there will be more photos this month.

      Delete
  10. Wow! Magnifiek werk in de badkamer! Zo "echt". Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je wel! Het is leuk om aan te werken!

      Delete
  11. My eye immediately fell on the shelving outside the toilet with all the packages etc. You're very tidy! I love the angled toilet door and the overhead light was an inspired idea. It's the problem solving and attention to detail that makes this hobby so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tidy, well I wouldn't call myself tidy exactly, hahaha! Probably in 12th scale I can control everything and it doesn't get messy as quickly. Plus I only just arranged those shelves. I hope those little people keep it that way!

      Delete
  12. This is just so phenomenal! It reminds me of something my brother said when he used to do model planes. He'd build up the internal framework of the plane which would then just get covered up. When asked why he went to all the trouble of doing that just to be covered up he answered "because I know it's there". Your work on this is absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just as your brother said! Not that I do this everywhere, but often I do. Thank you for your kind compliments!

      Delete
  13. Josje, it's lovely, so serene and peaceful... Which is good for such an intimate room I suppose ☺️ your work is always amazing and I love coming to your blog even though recently I was do busy in real life that I hardly had any time to switch on a pc. I wish you all the best and hopefully you will show us something new soon, I look forward to your stunning works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosanna! Sorry I am so late replying...Life gets busy sometimes and it is a good thing not to switch on your pc!!

      Delete

Post a Comment