Paint to some effect
Last weekend I managed to do a little work on both of my Canal Houses! I started on my new Canal House, the Herengracht. I finally put up the two wall sconces I made months ago. OK I didn't actually make them, but electrified them and gilded them using real gold leaf.
As I was admiring my sconces I suddenly decided the fireplace was too white and could use some marbling. I used cream, ochre and golden brown colours for it. I like it!
In trying to decide whether the room needed more sconces or not, I was playing with these. Not good for this room, but maybe...they could work in my other Canal House... They were too shiny though, so I painted them with diluted Humbrol paint and then gilded the raised areas with gold leaf. I also carefully bent the arms so they were closer together.
They look quite good with the mirror in the Salon.
There still is some work to do in this room, like fixing the log fire, finding/making the right frames for my paintings etc. All in good time though, after all I have only been working on this house for 9 years! ;-)